Sooooo, I did it; started CrossFit last week. I was so scared to start mainly because I knew I would be addicted but also because I was scared of how hard it was. I was so used to and comfortable in my running, sculpt and yoga world BUT was rarely really challenged to the point of sore muscles anymore. I missed that feeling of dead legs and arms or abs. Well, let me tell you- I have not been this sore (other than the days after a marathon) in a LONG time.
I have been going three times a week to CrossFit Minneapolis, also known as the best in the Twin Cities (kidding but seriously). Let me start off with the things I love about it.
1. I look forward to going and seeing what the different WOD is going to be! It is so different from running, yoga or spin. I pretty much always know what I am going to get at those but when I wake up for the 6AM CrossFit I get SO pumped to go see what workout I can conquer. Also, having the team like feeling and coaches reminds me of High school teams. You push yourself cause someone is actually pushing you and keeping you accountable.
2. It teaches me to not push through a workout to get it done. Obviously push yourself but do it right and leave your ego at the door. The other day while doing “HELEN” we had to do pull-ups, which are my biggest weakness and hate of all hates. I tried to plow through one set and on the last set of 12 I thought my arms were going to fall off and turn into jelly beans. He helped me by telling me to break it down into three sets of four. I did four, then I had another set and did 3.75 and I thought the .75 was good enough. Nope he goes “well now you still have five- the last one didn’t count”. Damn, I suppose he was right.
3. It is fast and oddly fun. You don’t go in there and kick your ass for an hour or two. Nope the other day my WOD lasted 11:46 and I legit can barely walk today. It is that REAL sore feeling where you know you are breaking down muscles to re-build them. I LOVE IT.
4. Everyone cheers for each other. Seriously, even people I have never met figure out my name and cheer me on when I think I am going to explode.
5. You lift heavy shiz. Seriously, so cool. I was lifting this huge bar with tons of weight on it and squatting all the way down. I have never felt like I was working so hard to stand up and I loved it. I forget what the squats were called. Cleans maybe?
6. You leave feeling awesome. That basically explains it.
7. It reminds me how damn good yoga feels. Seriously- I took a class last night and it was the ONLY thing that made my thighs stop screaming and begging me to not move.
Have you tried CrossFit? Not for everyone but most people I know who have tried it love it.
What workout pushes you the most? I can push myself in most workouts but sometimes when I run alone I have to pretend to be my own coach, haha.